Two Golden Rules I Learned from My Late Mom (pass away when I was 10 year old)



First Golden Rule:

Bu
Pa
Man
Zhi
Pa
Zhan
Not
Afraid
Slow
Only
Afraid
Standing
Be not afraid of progressing slowly; be afraid only if standing still

Bu
Pa
Zhan
Zhi
Pa
Zhuan
Not
Afraid
Standing
Only
Afraid
Turning in circle
Be not afraid of standing still, not progressing, be afraid only if wasting time and energy but turning around in a circle and lost your directions of progressing.

When I was young, I used this in my learning in school, and also my learning in piano lesson. My mom said, be not afraid of progressing slowly, only be afraid if you are not progressing. Later she said, be not afraid of not progressing, only be afraid if you think you are progressing, but in fact you are turning in circle and going no where, and lost your directions. 

When I go hiking/backpacking with my husband, it was a very strenuous  journey. The most recent trip that we had in Catalina Island require me to go up 1800 feet in 2 miles of walking with my 30 lbs of backpack.

It has been very hard for me. However, my mom's golden rules always remind me that is OK to be slow, I don't care if I am like a turtle walking slowly, I know one day I will arrive at the destination that I wanted to be. On the trip, some of the trail marker is not clear, my husband and his friends has to stop and look at the map to make sure that we are on the right path. At this point, I remember my mom saying: "Be not afraid of stop, or standing still, be afraid only if you are wasting your time and energy to walk in circle and lost your directions."


Second golden rule:


退
Ni
Shui
Xing
Zhou
Bu
Jin
Ze
Tui
Against
Water/current
 moving forward
Canoe
Not
improve
Then
Falling back
Learning is like rowing upstream, not to advance is to drop back, either to keep progressing or to be washed backward
Learning piano is like rowing a canoe upstream, if you are not rowing, the water current will push you back to your starting point, so, in order to reach your ending point, you need to keep rowing (practicing piano).
He who does not advance loses ground.




At first, one may say that the first rule and the second rule are contradict to each other. I like to explain more:

First rule is for learning process.
Second rule is for practicing process.
Once you have learn the new concepts in piano lessons, no matter if you learned it fast in one lesson, or learned it slow in five lessons, you have to keep practicing it, keep reviewing it, keep refreshing it everyday so that you will not forget it. 

For example, once a 5 year old learned the Flash Card Technique, parents has to keep practicing the technique at home so that the student will not forget it. Two weeks of no reviewing flash-cards at home might put the child in backwards if the child's memory is not secure. 

Popular posts from this blog

July 2023 "Mus"Letter

September 2023 "Mus"Letter

June 2023 "Mus"Letter